Period of stay: February and March 2015
Evaluation sheet for departing Fellows
- What would you consider to be the major benefits of your stay at IWM?
- significant progress in the work of the Orthodoxy Cluster with D. Uzlaner, A. Agadjanian and K. Mikhailov
- cooperation with S. Horuzhy and dissemination for the book we just edited together.
- Was the event programme of the IWM attractive and interesting for you?
- Do you have any criticisms of any aspect of the Institute’s program and operations?
Please include any suggestions for improvement.
- Are there any research institutions / potential applicants in your field or your country to whom we should send information on the Institute?
Please include the address or/and institution of these individuals:
Final Report sheet for departing Fellows
As stipulated in the terms of your fellowship award, please submit your final report on your activities and what you have accomplished during your research stay.
Please be as specific and concise as possible, please mention also your participation in important events, talks and travels. We ask you to list books or papers produced or worked on at the IWM, which have been either published or accepted for publication, or which you intend to submit for publication. Describe briefly the nature of the work and list the names of publishers or publications, dates and other pertinent facts.
As I am engaged in several projects at and with the IWM, the fellowship period in February and March with the extra-benefit of having an office at the IWM allowed me to concentrate efforts and make progress in all projects. All of these feed into the project “Religious traditionalisms and politics”.
- Orthodoxy Cluster “The perils of moralism”
- the cluster members were in constant exchange during March;
- we divided our topic into four chapters and will prepare articles. Planned publication: journal articles for submission to Religion and Politics or equivalent;
- we presented our work on March 26 at the Fellows’ seminar;
- we have a presence on the IWM homepage: http://www.iwm.at/uncategorized/perils-moralism-russian-orthodoxy-russian-politics/
- Bibikhin translation project
- I have coordinated the work of the team Vera Ammer and Alexander Michailowski;
- Vera Ammer almost completed the translation;
- Alexander Michalowski completed the commentary;
- planned publication with Matthes & Seitz;
- the translation-work was presented at a Fellows’ seminar on February 23, moderated by myself;
- the project is described on the IWM website: http://www.iwm.at/uncategorized/uncovering-vladimir-bibikhins-work-western-philosophy-german-translation-bibikhins-philosophical-essays-drugoe-nachalo/
- Sergej Horujy “Foucault and Hesychasm”
- Sergej Horujy was a Russia in Global Dialogue Fellow at the IWM in March. We used his stay for the promotion of his recent publication in English, edited by myself;
- he presented his work at a Fellows’ seminar on March 17, moderated by myself;
- I had invited (and financed) as discussant Prof. Arpad Szakolczai from Cork University;
- the information is available on the website: http://www.iwm.at/events/event/practices-self-spiritual-practices/
- I have conducted a long interview with Horuzhy that is currently being transcribed and will be published in Transit and on Eurozine.
- Orthodox Christianity and Secularization
- Following up on the panel on Orthodox Christianity and Secularization at last year’s Charles Taylor Conference, I am editing a special section in Transit with articles by Alexander Agadjanian, Vasilios Makrides and Pantelis Kalaitzidis;
- during my stay at the IWM I finalized these versions for publication and translation.
- Orthodox political theologies
- Following up on the workshop in January 2014, I am co-editing a volume on Orthodox Political Theologies with Ingeborg Gabriel and Aristotle Papanikolaou;
- during my stay at the IWM I edited several contributions to this volume, which is nearing completion and I wrote my own chapter for the book.
- Religious Anti-Westernisms
- On June 15 I will organize a workshop on “Religious anti-westernisms” at the IWM;
- during my stay I coordinated with the rector Shalini Randeria the Indian participation in this workshop:
- I also coordinated the logistics and finances with Mary Nicklas.